Discussion: Analyze the effects of the historical, social, political, economic, and cultural forces onpolitics and government.
For this discussion, we will consider how gerrymandering currently affects Texas politics, andhow gerrymandering has been used historically in Texas politics. Gerrymandering is a political strategyto redraw Congressional districts in a way that engineers the outcomes of elections to favor one party oranother.
Understand that the main intent of these discussions is to hold a dialogue. Kindly begin work onthis discussion well in advance of the deadline to insure that your classmates are afforded ample time torespond to your posts. Waiting until the last minute to complete this assignment will allow yourclassmates less time to interact with you and may defeat the purpose of the assignment.
To prepare for writing your discussion post and responses, follow these steps:
1. For a background to gerrymandering, reference course materials and watch this video thatpresents an overview on how legislators stay in power as a result of legislative redistricting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s6erd5MbEY2. Next, go to the Texas Tribune website that shows the new voting maps based on the 2020Census, and type in your address to view any changes between the 2010 and 2020 voting maps:
https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2021/texas-redistricting-map/ (Links to an external site.)
• Consider how demographic changes like race, ethnicity, or partisanship influence voting and electionoutcomes.• Think about political motivations for making these particular changes between the 2010 and 2020maps.
3. In a concise (250-300 words) post, answer the following questions utilizing course materials,concepts, and the information above:
• How will the demographic and geographical changes between your 2010 and 2020 voting districtchange political outcomes for elections? How does gerrymandering affect you or voters in thedistrict?
• How do historical, social, political, economic, and cultural forces in Texas manifest in thelegislature’s and parties’ use of gerrymandering? Consider Texas’s political cultures, dominantideologies, partisanship, and social or demographic changes in this answer.
4. After you have submitted your post, respond in 100-150 words to TWO posts from your peersand offer a thoughtful response to what you have read.
• You can respond either to fellow students’ primary post or to their response to your primary post.
• Use course materials and concepts in your answers, too, to help you formulate your thoughts.
“96% of our customers have reported a 90% and above score. You might want to place an order with us.”