PLEASE JUST CHECK THE ATTACHMENT IN THE FILES.
Why is oxygen reduced in the reaction of hydrogen with oxygen to make water?
- Oxygen pulls electrons toward itself.
- Oxygen pushes electrons toward the hydrogens.
- Oxygen absorbs a proton.
Which term describes the following process? 2Fe(s) + O2(g) + 2H2O(l) → 2Fe(OH)2(s)
4Fe(OH)2(s) + O2(g) +2H2O(l) → 4Fe(OH)3(s)
- salt hydrolysis
The half-reaction method is particularly useful for balancing redox equations.
A spontaneous reaction causes current to flow in an electrolytic cell.
Which of the following chemical equations represents an oxidation-reduction reaction?
- Mg(OH)2 + 2HCl → MgCl2 + 2H2O
- BiCl2 + Na2SO4 → 2NaCl + BiSO4
Identify the products formed in the net reaction of the electrolysis of water.
- liquid hydrogen and oxygen gas
- liquid oxygen and hydrogen gas
- hydrogen gas and oxygen gas
The gas produced at the cathode in the electrolysis of brine is _________.
H is oxidized and Cl is reduced in this reaction. 2ClO- +H2 +2e- →2Cl- +2OH-
In which of the following species is the oxidation number of sulfur less than 6?
A proton is transferred between a conjugate acid-base pair.
A Lewis base is a substance that can _________.
- accept a pair of electrons
- donate a pair of electrons
- donate a hydrogen ion
Which combination of acid and salt in aqueous solution would form a buffer?
- carbonic acid and sodium carbonate
- hydrochloric acid and potassium chloride
- sulfuric acid and calcium sulfate
Which type of solution is one with a pH of 7?
The formula of the ammonium ion is written as _________.
A highly active metal is most easily oxidized.
When an acid reacts with a base, what compounds are formed?
- a salt and water
- water only
- a salt only